Monday, November 8, 2021

Movie Review: Wrong Turn (2021)

tonight's feature: Wrong Turn (2021) on Showtime
.
night 39 #31NightsofHalloween

Well, the joke's on me. I thought Wrong Turn was just a funny name for a movie... it turns out Wrong Turn is actually a reboot of a series 6 movies deep! How I missed every single one of them is not a huge mystery, I don't pay attention to most things unless there's a cat, some beer, guitar riffs or sweepstakes involved.

This Wrong Turn involves a decades old cult called The Foundation, living on a mountain, hidden from the world being freaky-deaky weirdos since the American civil war. The mostly annoying big city 20-something main characters, vacationing deep in Appalachia, step off the hiking trail and end up in the clutches of these bizarro nutjobs and of course it's awful. The weirdest thing about this film is that I hated it... until it hit the halfway point. The kids were annoying, the pacing was weird, the story seemed predictable, the cult leaders had very fancy haircuts and dumb accents... and then it somehow became compelling and got better and better as it picked up speed. The twist ending was even more rewarding.

So now I am required by law to watch the first 6 films and report back. In the meantime I'll give this Wrong Turn 7.9 carefully hidden, spikey human traps out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment