Sunday, October 17, 2021

Movie Review: Impetigore (2019)

tonight's feature: Impetigore (2019) on Shudder
.
night 17 #31NightsofHalloween

Impetigore is some chilling Indonesian horror. Genuinely disturbing and original, the film tells the story of a cursed village deep in the forests of Java.

I thought the movie was scary enough, but apparently it's a thing in Indonesia to kill yourself by slitting your own throat using a big sharp knife. I hadn't really considered that as a workable option, but in Impetigore it can be used as a way to threaten or punish others.. as in "DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS" or "LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE ME DO". Perhaps it's because they don't have as many guns lying around? I don't know.

Impetigore was written and directed by Joko Anwar (Satan's Slaves) who is kind of like the Steven Spielberg of Indonesian films (probably) so you know it's going to be quality. You also know you're going to be reading the subtitles the entire time so don't look away for one second or you'll be hitting the rewind button over and over.

Also, Impetigore made me want to travel to Indonesia really bad to check out their puppet mastery, rich culture and beautiful scenery. But it also made me worried that when I show up there the crazy supernatural folk tales might result in me hanging upside down and murdered so they can cut off my skin and do terrible things with it. Anyway, a solid terrifying story. 8.5 black magic curses out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment