Thursday, October 28, 2021

Movie Review: After Midnight (2019)

tonight's feature: After Midnight (2019) on Shudder
.
night 28 #31NightsofHalloween

After Midnight was a well made movie. Decent acting. Should have been an easy premise: creature feature. No problem. The original title was "Something Else" and that was changed after the film premiered. Probably because some people in the audience were confused, like I was.

The movie is considered a "romantic monster movie" but that's being generous. What it turned out to be is a hot, sticky mess of a film.

Hank's girlfriend leaves him alone in the big ole house. That's when the monster starts showing up. For half the film, we're with this country bumpkin on his journey of monster mania. Nobody believes him. He keeps remembering the good times with his girlfriend and fending off the beast at night. One day she returns, and he tells her about the monster. She tells him she wants more out of life. Things get complicated. I am bored to tears. There is a party for her birthday. The monster is all but forgotten, or is it? Well, it didn't really matter because After Midnight ruined the story by trying too hard. I will give them credit for trying, ok. But this fell like a turd in the ole punchbowl because I was absolutely hating this romantic genre shift buried deep in a 'horror' movie.

Suffice to say, if I ever have to hear a grown man sing a full karaoke version of "Stay" by Lisa Loeb, I am walking out of the theater before the verse is finished. Or turning the movie off and punching myself in the junk for even allowing it to happen. I dug the first half of the film, so I'll give it 3 moronic script-twists out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment