Thursday, October 14, 2021

Movie Review: The Beach House (2019)

tonight's feature: The Beach House (2019) on Shudder
.
night 14 #31NightsofHalloween

The Beach House was like some quality edibles that hit at just the right time. Or maybe it was that I didn't know anything going in so my expectations were low. Sure, the pacing felt tedious, but it didn't bother me. The film kept me wrapped up in the story, deep in a trance. So when the menacing horror unfolded I was there, trapped inside it. Some of the positive reviews called The Beach House "trippy", "economical", "dreamy", "visceral", and "captivating". On the flip side, the not so positive reviews called it "unremarkable", "uninteresting" and "nothingness". The Beach House is actually somewhere in between all of that.

Emily and Randall head to Doc's beach house during the off season. He wants to move there permanently but she's not so sure. What could be scary about staying at the beach house on the ocean? A lot, apparently. I can't bring myself to ruin the plot, but I personally loved this low-budget throwback to classic sci-fi horror. If you're looking for a slasher type of unending terror, this isn't for you. But if you like your horror more ethereal, unfathomable, and mystifying, you just might love The Beach House like I did. 9 Emergency Alert System messages out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment