Thursday, December 2, 2021

Movie Review: Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)

tonight's feature: Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) on DVD
.
night 60
#31NightsofHalloween


Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later didn't come highly recommended, or at all, but I got this DVD from the library and it's been sitting here for a week or more and I felt I should finish the entire series, so here we are. Besides the awful, awful 1998 haircuts, Jamie Lee Curtis rocking the 'pointy headed lady' and Josh Hartnett (who may have fallen into a passing lawnmower), the pencil thin eyebrows of Michelle Williams and tiny wisp of a mustache on LL Cool J, the movie was boosted(?) by the inclusion of one of Creed's hottest tracks as its go-to soundtrack. I don't remember the late 90s being so annoying, but I guess I wasn't paying much attention.

Regardless, in this iteration of the franchise, Laurie Strode is living under a different name and is a successful headmistress of a private boarding school. Michael Myers, with a brand new, slightly dorkier mask, shows up and starts killing everyone. Except Laurie, who ends up stealing his 'dead' body and drives it and herself over a cliff before chopping his head off. Ending the franchise, right? Right? Ok maybe not. While the movie itself was pretty much a paint by numbers of the earlier films, once Michael shows up, I gotta admit secretly rooting for the guy. For a minute there, I thought I was watching an earlier film. I can't remember seeing more "jump scares" in a single film that this. Not bottom of the barrel (we'll get to that one next!) but it definitely should be avoided if possible. 5 Creed ballads playing over the credits out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment