Monday, September 26, 2022

Movie Review: Mad God (2021)

the horror continues... 35 nights till Halloween!
.
tonight's feature: Mad God (2021) on Shudder

Not sure where to start with Mad God. Kind of like what might happen if Tool released an 83 minute music video. The opposite of a typical movie experience, more like an extended, stop motion apocalypse nightmare. That makes sense when you consider it's a 30 year long labor of love(?) project by acclaimed master of the stop motion arts, Phil Tippett, who for decades was one of Hollywood's most renowned figures in the art of stop motion and special effects, from Star Wars to Jurassic Park and more.

There's almost a story here, but not really. Most of what happens in this futuristic hellscape is just there to remind you that there is no hope whatsoever. I won't lie, I fell asleep 3 times during the end sequence of colored lights and whatever, but each time I went back and rewatched what I had missed. I don't think I needed to, but I'm guessing an actual plot was never the point. Super bad ass if you're into hellish stop animation, but probably not something your mom will ever understand. 7 ugly monsters with giant tits for balls out of 10.




No comments:

Post a Comment