Friday, September 23, 2022

Movie Review: Boys from County Hell (2020)

the horror continues... 38 nights till Halloween!
.
tonight's feature: Boys from County Hell (2020) on Shudder

Boys from County Hill is a "fun" Irish vampire movie with accents so thick it requires your captions be turned on. If you know me, you know that I'm generally not a fan of comedy in my horror and this comedy / horror could have been an epic horror masterpiece if they just laid off the lame jokes.

In the small Irish town of Six Mile Hill, Eugene, his Da (Irish for Dad) and friends are tasked with building a new road through some old Irish farm, which may or may not be where Bram Stoker stayed once and heard a local legend that may or may not have inspired his famous Dracula story. Naturally the construction efforts awaken the ancient Abhartach vampire and hilarity ensues.

I'm not saying it's not a decent movie, it has its charms. But I do think you should pick a side: a comedy movie OR a horror movie. Unless I'm watching Evil Dead, I am here for the scares. The frivolity and goofy bits diminish those scares. You spent a bunch of money to craft a decent backstory, some really nice effects and a convincing vampire, but you slapped a bunch of unfunny gags, giggles and corny music all up in it. On top of that, the climax of the movie is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Maybe it's an Irish thing? 6 nostrils oozing a steady stream of blood out of 10.




No comments:

Post a Comment