Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Movie Review: Nightbreed Director's Cut (1990)

Halloween day 16!
.
tonight's feature: Nightbreed (1990) on Shudder

I don't quite understand the love for this movie. Sure there are a lot of weird and cool characters, some great makeup and effects, and a robust bizarre premise, but the plot feels like it was determined by a roll of a 20 sided die. A little bit of "what the hell?" mixed with some "ok then." I had a hard time rooting for team monster and the "bad guys" were so buffoonish I could barely watch. Maybe if it was still 1990 and I was stuck in a dark theater I would have liked it better, but I doubt it. Something felt off to me, and while stylistically it was cool, I thought the whole thing ended up as a big letdown. My bad. 5 secret monster cities underneath a graveyard in the middle of nowhere out of 10.




No comments:

Post a Comment